• Welcome to ForumKorner!
    Join today and become a part of the community.

[TUT] How to install MyBB From Scratch [TUT]

duk

agent virtual
Welcome to my tutorial on how to set up MyBB 1.6.1 (same thing for every version, really) to your domain. For this tutorial, I will show you how to install onto 000webhost. If you have your own domain and hosting, then just skip to step 2. Throughout this tutorial, there will be 5 pictures to guide you along the way to setting up this wonderful forum software. Before I begin, I would like to say that if you have ANY questions AT ALL, please do not hesitate to PM me about it! I will get back to you ASAP. There will be tutorials following this on how to install themes and plugins. But, let us begin with this tutorial.​

Step 1: First off, you're going to need to set up a free account at http://www.000webhost.com/order.php. At this page, just enter in whatever you want your website to be called under where it says "or, I will choose your free subdomain (recommended)". The account set up is completely self-explanatory. Continue until you get to the page which will lead you to the C-Panel. At the c-panel, click on "View FTP Details". Now you will see all this pretty little information that we need. It should look like this:

Step 2: Now, we open up Filezilla. We will copy and paste in the host, username, and password from that previous page into the text fields. We will now click on 'Quick Connect". Now, we are going to click into 'Public_html'. In there, we will see a file called 'default.php'. Right click and delete that. Now, open up the MyBB folder that we downloaded earlier and go into the directory called "Upload". In there, select ALL of the directories and folders in it and drag it all into public_html. Let it upload for a little bit and the files will be in there. Here is an image illustrating what to do:

Step 3: Now, we will focus on changing the chmods of certain files, or file permissions for certain files. Go to the following places and right click them. Click on 'File Permissions' and a little dialog window will come up. Where it says 'Numeric value' change the values of the following files and directories to 777:

• cache
  • Uploads
  • Uploads->Avatars
  • inc->config.default.php
  • inc->settings.php
  • Install->index.php

Also, rename config.default.php to config.php. Here is a picture illustrating all of step three:

Step 4: Now that everthing is set up, go to yourdomain.whatever/install/.

Click Next, then Next again. You will be at a requirements page. *If you changed those values (chmods) correctly earlier, all of the requirements will say 'Writable'. If some are red, you did something incorectly and must go back and do it again. Click Next and then stop. Go back to your websites c-panel.

Look for » Software / Services, and click MySQL. Put in any info you'd like in the blanks. Then you will have the info you need right in front of you. Copy and paste it onto the MyBB Installation page.

Continue to click 'Next' until you get to Board Configuration. Here, just enter your Forum Name and Website Name. You can also change the Contact Email to your email, if you'd like. When finished, click next.

On this page, enter your desired Username and password that you want to be yours on the actual forum. Also enter in your email. Once finished, click 'Next'.

You should now be at the "Finish Setup" page. From here, you want to go into Filezilla and go into your public_html. From there, delete the 'Install' directory. From here, wait about 3 minutes.

Now, let's see if everything worked! Go to yourdomain.whatever.com and see if you see a forum similar to this one:

If you do, congratulations! You have successfully set up your MyBB Forum website! If you see an error from MyBB, just refresh the page a few times and it should go away. If not, you have done something wrong.

Detailed and well written tutorial. It will surely come to good use for people wanting to start their own MyBB forum.

Flow'n

Great tutorial, I have a video on how to do this.. I dont have very many views though.. None of my videos do grr.

I strongly recommend not to get 000webhost when running mybb forum. They hate it, you will get so many errors, I would look into a different host right away.

kool_zero

Good Tutorial. Thanks!

Question.. are the things like "Enter the GOTM Contest fast!" just announcements? Or what?

Tate

With this being something that seems like it would mostly appeal to absolute beginners, it might be better to instruct them to use the preloaded, nearly universally used file manager for a much easier time learning how it all works. The process is significantly simpler when uploading into the file manager. You're able to click upload, select the MyBB zipped file straight from your downloads, and then right click on it in the file manager to hit unzip. Then the unchanged steps about mysql would follow. This tutorial still works if you're willing to sit down and follow it precisely, though. Keep it up.

kool_zero

Thanks guys! I did it in CSS because I wanted to customize it. Thanks a bunch!