• Welcome to ForumKorner!
    Join today and become a part of the community.

[TUT] Install MyBB Tabs to your forum[TUT]

duk

agent virtual
Hey guys, I'm going to tell you how to install Tabbed Menu for MyBB.

Tabbed Menu is available via MyBB Central, but you need to buy a premium account ($10 lifetime) in order to download premium plugins/themes or to get support.

Once you download it, here is exactly what you want to do (I'll add pictures later):
  1. Upload all files via FTP. I assume you already know how to do this if you've gotten this far.
  2. If you are running MyBB 1.6.x, then you will need to edit one file in order for the tab plugin to activate. Go to inc/plugins/tabbed_menu.php and find the following code:

Code:
    "compatibility" => "1.4*"

And change it to the following:

Code:
    "compatibility" => "1.6*"

Then you can go to the Admin CP and activate the plugin.

Now, let us discuss applying the tabs.
  1. Once activated, you can access the options for Tabs via AdminCP-> Forums & Posts -> Tabbed Menu
  2. From here, you can set up your tabs. I often hear people complain about the order the tabs get put in. All you have to do is reverse the order you put them in. For example, if I wanted my tabs to look like 1 2 3 4, then I'd add them in 4 3 2 1.

Now, let us talk about customizing.

In oder to customize the color of the text or tab itself, we have to do a template edit. We can do this via AdminCP. Go into AdminCP - Templates & Style - Themes - (Your theme) options - Edit theme. Then, you'll see something named tabbed.css. Click on options and then edit style.

From here, you can see all of the attributes of Tabs. Edit whatever you'd like. Now, I know a lot of you want to change the color. This can be done via FTP by finding the file thead_bg.gif. That is what your tabs uses. All you have to do is make your own thread_bg.gif and upload it. Then your tabs will be completely customized.

That's it. Any queries please ask me here.

http://securityforums.us/test/

duk

agent virtual
Crayo said:
Repped and stickied. A very common issue is tab installing, and this covers it well.

Awesome thanks! I'm going to add in pictures later on, and add in some common error fixes.

Quiet always makes the best tutorials that are webmaster related. Keep it going babe <3

George

Crayo said:
It's no where near as good. It's slow, unresponsive and ugly compared to the original tab menu.

Just my opinion.

It wasn't slow for me, and the appearance is only what you make it, a little bit of CSS tweaking can help. I do have a pretty high pc, broadband connection & amazing web host though.

Anxiety

User is banned.
The original tabbed menu was Omni's. I'm sure he created the first, then that free version came out. Then this other free version came out, both of which aren't as good as Omni's.

But opinions are opinions for a reason ay :)